Sunday, August 29, 2010

Your Online Identity: Using Your Middle Initial

In a world where many people share the same first and last name but not family, it is important to have a clear identity.

Consider using your middle initial.

Now, I can't take complete credit for this: this really came from Mike D. Merrill, a social media consultant in Dallas with a history with Dell. The guy knows his stuff and speaks from experience.

My personal experience is that when I Google my name, a number of people with my first and last name come up that aren't me. Same for a search on LinkedIn and Facebook. However, my middle initial set me apart. It makes me, me.

In this fast-paced, ever-changing information-savvy world, we all need every edge we can get. Your identity and personal brand are yours to manage and you should do so carefully and deliberately.

Relentless

No comments:

Post a Comment