Monday, January 19, 2009

Be sure to say thank you

We all are in a hurry these days to do whatever--find new contacts for business, service a client, run an errand, whatever. But don't forget the important things:

Courtesy and manners. Mostly saying please and thank you.

I was reminded today about service-- a lot due to the fact that today's MLK Day is being devoted to service. A local chapter of an association I work with forgot to say thank you to the outgoing president--how do we suppose she feels? The whole point of making connections is just that: making connections. That's not just a "hi, how are you, give me a lead". It's a heartfelt conversation between two people. Maybe it will lead to something, maybe not. But you just never know.

Nothing substitutes for good manners. I had a client who told me that if I hadn't have said "please" to her during a request, that she wouldn't have honored it. Good for her to demand that--and shame on me for forgetting.

Beyond that, people remember people who are polite, who listen, who share more than ask. They really are the basics of networking--and friendship.

Relentless

No comments:

Post a Comment