Sunday, February 28, 2010

Dance with who brung ya: Loyalty

Loyalty is a fleeting if not non-existent thing these days. However, it shouldn't be to relentless networkers or anyone else. It is the secret sauce, the dilithium crystals, the thing that powers all we do.

That and honesty.

Case in point: my own transition experience. Recently, my current employer changed my status with them. That is, I am no longer a salaried employee with benefits, but rather a contract representative. This is due to economic pressures on them.

Rather than get angry, I see this as an opportunity. An opportunity to continue the work we've done together. An opportunity to grow my own business (or not). An opportunity to move on to the next challenge. But because both they and I are looking at this in a sane, adult fashion, rather than a reactionary, angry scenario, we are able to get something constructive accomplished. While it is unfortunate for both sides, it is a fact of today's economy.

This scenario is possible because of the relationship we forged between us from the start. We each set guidelines for the other--and then followed them. While I will no longer be in their employ that doesn't mean (1) they disappear from my network or (2) either of us goes negative on the other (see "burning the bridge you are standing on" in an earlier post).

Loyalty has its cost, but it also, more importantly, has its rewards. In the meantime, anyone looking for a rep for their company or a new full-time employee, please reply. And, if you need a solid agency that knows marketing communications and market research, I know of one.

Relentless

No comments:

Post a Comment