Monday, March 22, 2010

Remembering and Being Remembered

This past week at the EXHIBITOR Show in Las Vegas, I had a real lesson in remembering and being remembered.

Walking down the aisle in the trade show part of the event, I passed by a company I have known since I started producing trade shows. And who should stride out from the booth but my good friend who had been there at the beginning with me.

As I spoke with my friend, I was reminded of how he was one of the first suppliers I had met in this business. And while we haven't done business with one another in some time, we have stayed in touch.

And staying in touch was the key: he had been connected with me via LinkedIn for the past few years and read my daily updates. "Wow, you are 'The Relentless Networker'," he said to me. (so the moniker has stuck, eh?). He then proceeded to tell me how he needed my help in marketing his firm.

Now that's keeping a fire burning.

All I can say to this is for all of us to keep in touch with as many relevant people as we can on a regular basis. We all know people and you never know when one of them might step forward at the most appropriate time. This, for me and my friend, was one of those times.

Don't burn bridges, build them. And you never know who you will work with or for in this life.

Relentless

No comments:

Post a Comment