Sunday, June 21, 2009

Degrees of Separation

The lesson of how far we are of each other in degrees of separation became a reality last evening. And it was a lesson in recollection and "The 6 Degrees of Separation."

An alumni association friend invited me to join his cycling group for dinner. Now, Joe has been after me for a while to join this group. I have some cycling experience, but am out of practice. The group includes his bike group and their SOs who may or may not bike.

The dinner at the restaurant goes fine and then we gather at Joe's house for a few beers. After a short conversation with Lori, one of the cyclists, we both look at one another and say that we think we've met before.

What are the odds? Well, Lori and I had actually been to the same networking group a few months back and know the same people. While Joe had been set on me meeting this group, I had no idea that I already knew someone in it.

It pays to recall who you meet (directly or indirectly) and then to reconnect. All connections are important and the lost one is the one you may need.

Relentless

No comments:

Post a Comment