Thursday, June 4, 2009

It isn't really like this at events

Cynicism is running rampant on campus. I picked up a copy of my college newspaper when I returned recently to my alma mater for my son's graduation. In the comics section, this cartoon, by Ted Rall (www.rall.com) appeared. Being the networking event guy that I am, it caught my attention.

I do think Ted is insightful when it comes to the what recent or soon-to-be grads are experiencing. Also when it comes to writers and creatives, this could be a scene. However, I must say that I see a bit of a different mix: groups at networking events are usually a mix of thirds.

One third are job seekers. Yes, as they should be, they are out and about continuing to connect.

A second third are members of the organization that is hosting the event. They are there to mix and connect with their peers and friends.

The last third are employed networkers. These people are the ones who are looking ahead and also at today. They know the value of keeping in touch.

The value of an event is in who you meet and becoming a part of their network.

Relentless

Thanks to Ted Rall and "The Bulletin Board" and the Arizona Daily Wildcat

No comments:

Post a Comment