Saturday, July 25, 2009

Internal and External Networks

A tale of two networkers from this past week.

My brother, Phil, closed on a new job this week using his internal network. He did all the cool things you need to do when you get a lead: researched the company, found out the leadership, did his homework on who does what there, what they do, audiences and customers. He directed his application to the key person he thought would be making the hiring decision. Then he did something else: he consulted his network. In Phil's case, he talked to his internal network: brother, wife, son, friends. They gave him feedback on the next questions to ask, how to ask them, and reviewed what had worked (and not worked) up to this point.

He used his team to help him square his mind on his next decisions and positioning.

My friend and former work colleague, Amanda, also used her network this week to her advantage. Amanda had a first live, in-person interview with a C-level exec from a manufacturer. After the first phone interview, she reviewed what she had said and heard and collected her thoughts. She called on her external network of associates and connections in the same or similar industries, marketing and sales professionals and business owners. This balanced review gave her the confidence she needed as well as armed her with questions and an approach that helped position the meeting.

We all have these circles around us. If you ask, they will help you. Whether it's closing on a job offer or trying to solve a business problem, your network is there to help. And remember, too, you are a part of someone's network as well so you can return the favor.

Relentless

1 comment:

  1. I'm Paul's brother, Phil. There were some other things as well. The key question I asked in the phone interview was what were the three most important issues they would want me to work on if I was selected for the position. Then my intenet research led me to some clues to the facility and the problems that were described to me. In preparation for the on-site interview phase, I formulated what I would do to solve the problems. In that interview I described my potential solutions after I learned more details about the problems. I wanted to show them I was the person that they needed to fill this position and solve their problems. The remote site interview and tour of the facility helped me to reinforce the solutions I had expressed. It helped that I really wanted the job. After the site tour, I followed up with my potential boss by providing some equipment cost information he could use for his next year's budget which we had discussed. The site tour also included discussions of solutions to problems. The whole point was to show them that I could be a productive part of the their team. And it worked.

    For those of you readers who are currently looking for jobs. Don't give up hope. There are jobs out there to be filled. Keep up your search, keep networking and looking for the right job for you. The jobs are out there, it just takes some deep mining to find them. Make sure you have defined in your mind what you really want to do and then make sure you can express that definition in several different ways and words.

    And to Paul, THANKS for all of your listening and wisdom. Not just advice but wisdom. The networking is working and this old school guy is learning the new tricks.

    Philip Maynard, P. E.

    ReplyDelete